Links to Examples of 2D and 3D Optical Scanning from Berkeley Lab
· This is the general website for the IRENE/2D/3D optical scanning projects http://irene.lbl.gov/
There are many pdf’s here with embedded sound which illustrate the technology. There are also links to reports in the media and wall posters.
· This is a link to a referenced document which provides more technical detail about 2D IRENE optical scanning 2D-Scanning.pdf
· This is a link to a referenced document which provides more technical detail about 3D optical scanning 3D-Scanning.pdf
· This is a link to a short write up Sound-Project-0311.pdf
· This is a link to a series of results from IRENE 2D scans of 78 rpm discs of various periods and conditions: Irene2D-examples.html . This is a good place to compare stylus vs IRENE transfers on a variety of discs.
· This is a link to results of 3D scans of wax field cylinders of Native Canadians created around 1930 by Franz Boas on Vancouver Island, BC. Boas_Final.html
· This is a link to results of 3D scans of wax field cylinders of Native Californians created between approx 1900 and 1914 by Prof. Alfred Kroeber and associates at the University of California, Berkeley. Password Protected folder Hearst_Study\Hearst_Final.php
· This is a link to the results of a study of experimental recordings made in the early 1880’s by Alexander Graham Bell, C. Bell. And C.S. Tainter at the Volta Laboratory in Washington, DC. Smithsonian Volta Laboratory Collection
· This is a link to a Smithsonian site about the Volta recordings.
· and well illustrated playbacks with transcriptions:
· This is a link to the results of the Edison talking doll recording recovery: